Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

Happy new year to my 2.5 readers! The .5 is my dog, who recently opened his own Facebook account. I'm normally not particularly fond of new year's resolutions because they seem like little more than the recipe for self-loathing. I'm also on a perpetual quest for self-improvement and tend to make weekly, daily, and monthly resolutions, so the year-long resolution doesn't make much sense to me.




But this year, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. New year's resolutions:

  • I'm going to write in this blog more. This is the only public writing outlet I have over which I can exercise complete control, and I need to take better advantage of that. 
  • As a corollary to the above, I'm going to write about more topics. I tend to self-censor because I'm perpetually paranoid that people won't get my humor or will judge me for what I write. But fuck 'em. 
  • I'm going to stop explaining my writing. I have a terrible habit of beginning every piece I write (both professional and personal pieces) with an introductory paragraph that basically justifies why I'm writing; this paragraph inevitably weakens what I'm saying, and is little more than a product of my people-pleasing tendencies. So out with it. 

And there you have it. I managed to successfully write a semi-personal, semi-self-revelatory post. Here's to many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment